Motorized Scooter Equality and Authorization Act
a. Commercial general liability insurance coverage with a $1 million per occurrence with a $2 million aggregate; and
b. If employing persons within the jurisdiction of the county or local municipality, workers’ compensation coverage that meets the minimum requirements under [APPROPRIATE SECTION OF STATE INSURANCE CODE]
2. A city, town or other locality may require a For-Hire Motorized Scooters Company or a person offering Micromobility Devices to pay fees, provided that such fees:
a. Do not exceed the reasonable and necessary costs of administration;
b. Duly take into account the alignment between Micromobility Devices and goals of reducing vehicle traffic, creating safer streets, and establishing sustainable transportation options;
c. Would not expressly or in practical effect prohibit the use or deployment of Micromobility Devices or Motorized Scooters.
3. A city, town or other locality may require an Identification Marker on Motorized Scooters owned or operated by a For-Hire Motorized Scooters Company.
4. Notwithstanding the powers enumerated in this Section, a city, town or other locality may govern the operation of Micromobility Devices and Motorized Scooters on streets, highways, sidewalks, and sidewalk areas under the jurisdiction of the city, town or other locality, provided that enforcement of such rules would not expressly or in practical effect prohibit the use or deployment of Micromobility Devices or Motorized Scooters.
1. For-Hire Motorized Scooter Company – means a person who enables transportation for compensation on a Motorized Scooter owned or operated by the person.2. Identification Marker – means a decal or other visible identification issued or required by the city, town or other locality to show the name or identification of For-Hire Motorized Scooters Company.
3. Micromobility Device — means any motorized transportation device made available for private use by reservation through an online application, website, or software for point-to-point trips and that is not capable of traveling at a speed greater than 20 miles per hour on level ground. This term includes Motorized Scooters and bicycles as defined in [INSERT CHAPTER].
4. Motorized Scooter — Any vehicle or Micromobility Device that is powered by a motor with or without a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, that is designed to travel on not more than three wheels, and that is not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 20 miles per hour on level ground.