Resolution Adopting the 10 Elements of High-Quality Digital Learning for K-12
Expressing the will of the Legislature to ensure the necessary conditions for expanded high-quality digital learning opportunities for the students of [State].
WHEREAS, academic success in the 21st century, and therefore the future of our state’s economy, is contingent upon our students’ access to high-quality K-12 education; and
WHEREAS, today’s students have access to the internet, technology and devices unavailable to previous generations; and
WHEREAS, excellent educational resources are becoming abundant in digital form, such as online and blended learning opportunities; and
WHEREAS, the primary barriers preventing our students from accessing these high-quality digital learning opportunities are outdated state statutes and policies; and
WHEREAS, this Legislature understands the urgent need for its leadership in removing the policy barriers standing between our children and the digital learning opportunities that can ensure their success, and our state’s, in this Information Age; and
WHEREAS, in August 2010, Governors Jeb Bush and Robert Wise launched the Digital Learning Council with leaders in education, government, philanthropy, business, technology and think tanks to define the actions that lawmakers and policymakers must take to spark a revolution in K-12 digital learning with their actions resulting in the creation of the 10 Elements of High Quality Digital Learning; and
WHEREAS, it is the intent of this Resolution that the 10 Elements be used as a framework from which to draft legislation specific to each state’s needs and not a mandate on any one body;
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that [State] adopts the Digital Learning Council’s 10 Elements of High Quality Digital Learning, as hereby presented. It is the will of the Legislature that the Elements be incorporated as necessary through future legislation as well as immediate state regulation, strategic planning, guidelines and/or procedures on the part of the [State Education Agency], local education agencies, and any other relevant public or private bodies.
Digital Learning Council’s 10 Elements of High Quality Digital Learning
1. Student eligibility: All students are digital learners.
2. Student access: All students have access to high-quality digital content and online courses.
3. Personalized learning: All students can customize their education using digital content through an approved digital learning provider.
4. Advancement: Students progress based on demonstrated competency.
5. Content: Digital content, instructional materials, and online and blended learning courses are high quality.
6. Instruction: Digital instruction and teachers are high quality.
7. Digital learning providers: All students have access to multiple high-quality digital learning providers.
8. Assessment and accountability: Student learning is one method of evaluating the quality of content and instruction.
9. Funding: Funding creates incentives for performance, options, and innovation.
10. Delivery: Infrastructure supports digital learning.
Approved by ALEC Board of Directors on September 16, 2011.
Keyword Tags: Digital Learning